EPK - SITARFUSION WITH PAUL DESLAURIERS BAND
Anwar Khurshid’s SitarFusion with Paul Deslauriers Band is a unique acoustic union between the Blues and Indian Classical Music, a true “East meets West” musical collaboration demonstrating the power of music to transcend generational and cultural differences. Anwar’s sitar and Paul’s guitar alternate in a meditative musical conversation, building on each other’s ideas and creating a soulful, uplifting experience for audiences. Their CD “Enter the Gate” received glowing reviews and has electrified live audiences in festival-winning performances in North America.
The collaboration comprises of Canada’s award-winning musical elite: sitar maestro Anwar Khurshid who has performed internationally for decades and created music for Hollywood and Bollywood films including Oscar-winning “Life of Pi”; Canada’s top blues-rock guitarist and singer Paul DesLauriers recognized as Maple Blues Guitarist of the Year; Canada’s top bassist Greg Morency, recognized as Maple Blues Bassist of the Year and Sam Harrisson on drums, a record 9-times recipient of the prestigious Lys Blues award and 3 times nominee for Maple Blues Drummer of the Year award.
- Silver medalist at 32nd International Blues Challenge 2016 by The Blues Foundation.
- “Best In Festival” award at Tremblant International Blues Festival 2013.
- Two albums rated #1 on iTunes Canada Blues chart in 2016 & 2014.
- Winner of TD Music’s “Artists to Watch” shortlist 2016 (Anwar Khurshid).
- 2nd prize in International Songwriting Competition 2015, selected from 18,000 entries from 120 countries (Ho Jamalo song).
- Performed in USA & Canada at Montreal International Jazz Festival, Ottawa BluesFest, Daytona Blues Festival, Toronto Harbourfront Festival among others.
MEDIA / NEWS
"It is not just their music but their souls that play in harmony with each other..." at TD Mosaic Festival. Read the full review at the Blind to Bounds blog.
"Cornwall musician named top blues guitarist in the country..." read the full article about the Blues awards.
"Every lover of stringed instruments should hear this CD..." read Toronto Blues Society's review John's Blues Picks' of Enter The Gate CD.