Created in 1961 by UNESCO, the impetus behind World Theatre Day is to honour and further the goal of UNESCO's International Theatre Institute (ITI) to celebrate theatre as an indispensable bridge-builder for mutual international understanding and peace as well as to promote and protect cultural diversity and identity in communities throughout the world. For information visit http://tapa.ca Twitter: @doraawards #DORAS2019
The Royal Conservatory is bringing together professional musicians from all over the world, all of whom now live in Canada, to create the New Canadian Global Music Orchestra:
- Padideh Ahrarnejad (Iran) on tar
- Sasha Boychouk (Ukraine) on woodwinds and ethnic Ukrainian flutes
- Alyssa Delbaere-Sawchuk (Canada – Métis) on violin, viola, jaw harp, spoons, and vocals
- Luis Deniz (Cuba) on saxophone
- Anwar Khurshid (Pakistan) on sitar, flute, esraj, tabla, vocals, and harmonium
- Lasso (Salif Sanou) (Burkina Faso) on Fulani flute, kambélé n’goni, tamanin (talking drum), balafon, djembe, doum-doum, and vocals
- Paco Luviano (Mexico) on bass
- Aline Morales (Brazil) on Brazilian percussion and vocals
- Demetrios Petsalakis (Greece) on oud, guitar, lyra, bouzouki, riq, and Greek baglama
- Matias Recharte (Peru) on drums, percussion, cajón, conga, and timbales
- Dorjee Tsering (Tibet) on dranyen, flute, piwang, yang chin (dulcimer), and traditional Tibetan vocals
- Dora Wang (China) on bamboo flute, flute, hulusi, xiao, panpipe, and ocarina
- David Buchbinder, Artistic Director
Thrilling audiences with their genre-hopping passport of Celtic reels, Flamenco, Gypsy-jazz, Arabic, Cuban, and South Asian rhythms, Sultans of String inspire with their fiery violin dances and kinetic guitar overlaid with an unstoppable bass and percussive grooves.
Acoustic strings meet electronic wizardry to create multiple layers and depth of sound. Their new release, Subcontinental Drift is a feast of ragas, reels and rumbas with collaborative contributions by sitar master Anwar Khurshid. Incorporating the virtuosic talent of Anwar Khurshid adds to the Sultans of String's truly global and mesmerizing sound!
A celebration of Detroit's diversity, shining a light on inclusion through the performing arts.
For the In Transit Detroit shows, we gather talented international artists that are now living in Metro Detroit and integrate them with Detroit’s most mainstream accomplished musicians.
This event will spotlight India with In Transit Detroit.
Calling all Torontonian Beatles lovers to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ last Toronto show, in a one-of-a-kind celebration with with Massey Hall Band joining hands with SitarFusion and special guest musicians from Toronto from various musical traditions including soul, tribal, flamenco and world fusion. Watch artists collaborate across the local musical landscape to put unique spins on some of pop music’s most timeless work!
Come watch some amazing Torontonian artists collaborate in this lovely, FREE outdoors concert!
Two-time JUNO nominees, the Sultans of String, wind up our 2016 Chamberfringe series with a heady blend of ragas, reels, and rumbas. Special guest: sitar master Anwar Khurshid, whose performances have been featured in the Oscar-winning Life of Pi, Kama Sutra, and Love Guru.
Mis en candidature à deux reprises pour un prix Juno, les Sultans of String, cloront la série Chamberfringe 2016 avec un mélange enivrant de ragas, de reels et de rumbas. Invité spécial: le maître du sitar, Anwar Khurshid, qui a prêté son grand talent aux films couronnés par des Oscars, Life of Pi (l’Odyssée de Pie), Kama Sutra, et Love Guru.
Internationally renowned Sitar maestro Anwar Khurshid joins The Paul DesLauriers Band to perform music from their critically acclaimed Enter The Gate album. It's a true "East-meets-West" collaboration that transcends continents and cultures. Born from a mutual love and respect for each other’s music they engage in a musical dialogue that takes the listener on a sensual and exhilarating journey from Delhi to the Mississippi Delta. It’ll be a true fest for the senses! Event link: http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/learntoskate/courses.cfm?id=8347&festival_id=0
- Le Festival de Blues de Tremblant w/ Paul Deslaurier's band, Mon Tremblant, Quebec - Jul 11, 2013
- In-Fusion: Blues music with guitarist Sean Pinchin - Jun 21, 2013
- An Evening of Sitar & Dance w/ Genevieve Beaulieu, Indo Canadian Culture Club - May 17, 2013
- South Asian Heritage Day at Royal Ontario Museum - May 13, 2013
- Indo-African Collaboration - May 11 2012
- Sitar and Blues Collaboration at The Inner Garden - Apr 14 2012
- Living Arts Centre Music Poetry and Painting - Mar 18 2012
- One World - Mar 10 2012
- Anwar Khurshid & Paul Deslauriers, Auberge Glen Sutton, Quebec - Oct 15 2011
- Indian-Arabic Music Fusion - Oct 08 2011
- City of Orillia - 2011 Beatles Celebration - Sep 17 2011
- Classical Music of the East & West (Sitar & Cello) w/ Rachel Mercer, Inner Garden - Sep 10 2011
- Anwar Khurshid and Sienna Dahlen, Sitar & Jazz - Jul 09 2011
- OCHO Art Forum - Jun 22 2011
- Sitar and Blues Collaboration at The Inner Garden -Jun 11 2011
- Annual York-Noor Concert: Raks-aur-Raag - May 07 2011
- C27 Metro Box Event - City of Toronto, Metro Hall Rotunda -Apr 05 2011
- CCA-Canada Charity Fundraising Dinner - Nov 21 2010
- Toronto, Art Gallery of Ontario - Nov 16 2010
- Festival du Monde Arabe de Montréal - Oct 31 2010
- Thunder Bay Lakehead University - Oct 29 2010
- Rumi Fest Toronto Sitar and Santoor Collaboration - Oct 24 2010
- Pickering Flood Relief Fund Raising Event - Oct 23 2010
- Rakatak CD Release - Oct 20 2010
- New Market Great Hall York Region Arts Council - Oct 18 2010
- Ottawa OCFF Showcase - Oct 16 2010
- Koshish - Musical Night - Oct 10 2010
- Harvest of Healing Arts & David Hickey's Crystal Journey - Oct 09 2010
- ROM- Ragamala: Garland of Melodies - Oct 01 2010
- Ghazals: Javed Mughal and Anwar Khurshid - Jul 29 2010
- The Attic New Delhi - Jan 06 2010
- Performance at Central Island St. Andrew's Church - Jun 29 2008
- Richmond Hill Anwar Khurshid and Faheem Mazhar - Jun 28 2008
- Mosaic Arts Festival Mississuaga - Jun 21 2008
- Luminato Festival Rangoli Concert Harbourfront Toronto - Jun 15 2008
- Naming Ceremony Etobicoke - Jun 08 2008
- Sitar Performance Scarborough Golf Club - Jun 07 2008
- Performance for Canada Pakistan Business Council - Jun 06 2008
- Mehfil in Brampton Anwar Khurshid with Ustad Tari Khan - May 31 2008
- South Asian Heritage Month Celebration - May 29 2008
- Sitar Concert Richmond Hill Friends of Ramzan Ali - May 18 2008
- Friendship Concert Toronto Performance with Ustad Tari Khan - Apr 14 2008
- Washington DC performance with Ustad Tari Khan - Apr 13 2008
- Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto - Nov 30 2001